Friday, June 3, 2016

It's 2 am in Amsterdam and I can't sleep...

So the flight was pretty awesome. Nothing like flying first class across the Atlantic. Even the food is good! Started with an appetizer of Serrano ham, buffalo mozzarella, arugula and apricots. Tasted great at 30,000 feet. Cocktails, Verdejo, corn chowder, a great salad:


Followed up with beef tenderloin and polenta, a fruit and cheese plate and port for dessert. There's a reason the flight attendants close the curtain... people in the back of the plane do not want to see what's going on up there!

I couldn't sleep much; couldn't write at all. So I tried to watch some movies and drink gin and tonics. Hey, they're free!

When we landed, I was amazed at how easy it was to go through customs. I told the agents I'd be staying for 100 days. What I didn't know is you're only allowed to stay for 90 on the continent. Luckily my trip to England will break my stay into two halves. So, I'm good.

I took the train to Amsterdam Centraal, all the while trying to get a hold of Frank or anyone on Craigslist to sell me a bike. No luck. At. All. So, no bike. Instead, I took a rickshaw to the Van Gogh Museum and arrived a few minutes before my scheduled time of 11 am. I was able to walk right in, check my bag and relax before taking in the works. I was asked to fill out a questionnaire about my stay and I did. Hope they like my notes, signed Jared Baxter.

I didn't enjoy my time there. I tried to arrange an on the spot meeting with one of their researchers. Nope. No meeting for me. Left a bad taste in my mouth. I left. I had to get to my AirBnB by 3 anyway. So, with no bike, I ordered an uber that cost too much damned money.

My place in Amsterdam is nothing fancy. The host is very nice but we're in the suburbs not really next to any restaurants, sites or things to do. Worked out okay, I needed to sleep anyway. Partly why I'm still on West Coast time. So here's 2e Kekerstraat:


I did find a cool mosque nearby:


With no bike, I was able to find transportation to my next stop in Arnhem via three busses. I have to leave at 6:30 am, about four hours from now. Not sure I'll sleep till then... not sure I want to. I'm afraid this place has bedbugs. Ugh, glad I'm only staying here one night!

Ta Ta for now,
Jared




3 comments:

  1. Free cocktails to bedbugs, more highs and lows will inevitably follow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete